Protect Your Merchant Acquiring Business
With card-not-present (CNP) fraud on the rise around the world, Acquiring banks are increasingly looking for ways to mitigate lost revenues, as a direct result of unauthorized transactions, and chargebacks, to their merchants’ web sites.
3-D Secure™services for banks and merchants provide Internet merchants with the ability to verify their consumers’ true identities through a secure, electronic, non ‘face-to-face’ authentication process.
Our cGate® SecureVerify is ideal for helping Acquiring banks. Our solution allows their merchants to process 3-D Secure™transactions though Verified by Visa and MasterCard®SecureCode™.
Chargeback Liability Shift
This technology was designed by the Card Associations to provide Acquiring banks and their merchants with protection from fraudulent transactions, chargebacks and unauthorized payments made on an eCommerce website.
Payer Authentication enables all parties in an eCommerce payment transaction to transmit confidential and valid payment data, and provides verification to the merchant that the buyer is the authorized owner of a particular card account.
Powerful Fraud Protection
The most compelling benefit to Verified by Visa and MasterCard® SecureCode™programmes for Acquiring banks and their merchants is immediate protection from fraud-related chargebacks or those commonly referred to in the eCommerce industry as “I didn’t do it” chargebacks.
These often result from card number theft, card skimming, card phishing and counterfeit number generation.
Without such protection Acquiring banks and their merchants lose revenue and incur costs associated with retrieval fees, chargebacks, and administrative fees.
Both Visa and MasterCard have implemented chargeback liability shift for these “I didn’t do it” chargebacks when the transaction is authenticated through Verified by Visa or MasterCard® SecureCode™.
Reduced Interchange Fees
In order for the Acquirer to benefit from an immediate reduction in interchange fees, chargebacks and fraudulent transactions, Card Association penalty fees, and the administrative costs associated with dispute resolution, both Visa and MasterCard require the Acquirer to enrol their BINs in the programme(s).
The merchant transactions are ‘flagged’ as 3-D Secure™ eligible when processed through BASE I or INET authorisation systems, which makes them eligible for the lower interchange fees, and chargeback liability shift protection.
Transactions flagged with the appropriate ECI indicator (3-D Secure™ eligible) cannot be charged back through BASE I, or INET, using certain Reason Codes (most common for Internet fraud transactions).
- Immediate reduction in interchange costs for 3-D Secure™authenticated transactions on 3-D Secure™transactions – even attempted Visa 3-D Secure™transactions!
- Immediate reduction in credit risk, disputed transactions, chargebacks, exception handling expenses, and portfolio losses
- Immediate reduction in back office costs and administration relating to retrieval requests, dispute handling, chargeback investigation and lengthy presentment cases
- Fast and easy enrolment – no MPI software to purchase – installation and certification are completed on your behalf!
- Reduced capital expenditure in relation to other fraud management and detection services/software
- Guaranteed liability shift from Acquirer to Issuer for certain chargeback reason codes
- Worldwide security and compliance standard
- Cardholders enrolled Verified by Visa and MasterCard®SecureCode™ can authenticate each and every on-line purchase they make
- Reduces Internet fraud through the verification of the cardholder at the time of payment
- Better and cheaper than chargeback insurance
- Simple set up – no software to purchase, no merchant “plug-in” to install
- Immediate access to Verified by Visa and MasterCard®SecureCode™once enrolled by the Acquirer
- Protection for your merchants from consumer fraud losses, unauthorized transactions and disputes
- Chargeback liability shift for certain reason codes
- Increased consumer confidence leading to increased merchant sales and acquirer programme revenues
- Age validation for restricted web sites
- Increased card acceptance over other payment methods – increased sales!
- Lower transaction costs – allowing for more competitive product pricing
- Greater income potential from reduced transaction costs and chargeback penalty fees
- MasterCard®SecureCode™ and Verified by Visa programme benefits